[sclug] Centralised Authentication

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Mon Oct 31 15:13:02 UTC 2005

On Monday 31 October 2005 13:46, Peter Brewer wrote:
[...]
> The number of machines that we are managing in our group is growing and
> we would like to implement some sort of centralised pwd management.  Can
> anyone suggest the simplest options i.e. can be implemented in an
> afternoon!  We are running Ubuntu hoary, Ubuntu breezy and Debian woody
> on our various machines.

One of the gnarliest hacks I ever perpetrated was setting up a distributed
password system of a network of Linux-based terminals. What I did was to have
the main server NFS export /etc/passwd; then I had each client mount it over
the top of its own /etc/passwd as part of the boot procedure. (You can export
single files in NFS.)

This *actually worked*, and quite well... changing the file on the server
caused all changes to be instantly visible across the network, and if a
terminal was booted without being connected to the server, you got a couple
of standard admin users. It was also trivial to set up and maintain.

Whatever you do, don't do it like that.

--
+- David Given --McQ-+
+- www.cowlark.com --+