[sclug] Promoting linux

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Fri Sep 2 01:48:33 UTC 2005

Chris Aitken wrote:
>>On Sun, 2005-08-14 at 16:15 +0100, John Barron wrote:
>>
>>>I usually try and do both, though at the moment I don't have a
>>>functioning
>>>laptop to take around with me - at some point if I get
>>round to it and find a
>>>few spare ???'s I keep thinking I must try and pick a
>>suitable second-hand
>>>one.

>>HP have announced in the past about selling one/some/all of
>>their laptops with Linux as an option.
>

> Or an IBM Thinkpad - Caldera used to be a buytime option, and the linux
> hardware support is second to none.

It was actually because the secondhand Dell Latitude laptop I bought
from IT Dealers (.com) didn't have an OS installed and I
<whisper>couldn't find my w98 disk<whisper> that I got into using Linux
(you may cheer now :-).

In that case it was mandrake but I now use kubuntu which IMHO is the
easiest to use as a slightly technical but not very linux-savvy
ex-windoze user.

--
John Stumbles