[sclug] SSH / Cable modems

Bob Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Mon Sep 5 12:12:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005, Peter Brewer wrote:

> My dad has got a BT cable modem connected to his Ubuntu machine via an
> ethernet cable.  I want to be able to SSH into it to help out with
> problems. Does anyone know if it is possible to port forward from the
> modem without a router?

Cable modems are just bridges (IME); they can connect to your PC with a
USB connection or Ethernet.  Either way, the IP address sits on the PC (or
whatever) you've connected; not on the modem.  At home, I have a Linux box
doing the NATing and routing between the internal network and the cable
network/Internet.

So, if the connected box is a Linux box, you can SSH straight in.  If you
have more than one machine, you'll need to get a router or use the
connected box as one.

[Of course, I would make some suggestions about security - perhaps move
SSH to a non-default port and limit connections to key-based
authentication, certain accounts, etc.]

   - Bob

--
  Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk>          +44 (0)118 378 7147
  Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK