[sclug] Problem with mounting an smb system: smbclient works; mount doesn't

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 5 20:12:37 UTC 2005

I'm trying to get a form of remote backup working with a friend via a
VPN.  We're using openvpn; he's the client and I'm the server.  We've
decided to use samba as we both have windows machines on our respective
LANs that might need to access the remote storage.

He can browse my samba shares OK, but when I try to mount his, it
doesn't work.  The strange thing is, smbclient can connect.  His server
netbios name is giles and the share is called transfer.

Hence:

[net at garage include]$ smbclient -I 10.8.0.6 //giles/transfer -U james
Password:
Domain=[GILES] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.10]
smb: \> ls
  .                                   D        0  Wed Aug 31 18:19:58
2005
  ..                                  D        0  Wed Aug 31 18:17:54
2005

                39131 blocks of size 4194304. 37991 blocks available
smb: \> exit

seems to go okay, but..

[root at garage include]# mount -t smbfs -o
user=james,password=xxxxx,ip=10.8.0.6 \\\\giles\\transfer /mnt/giles
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on \\giles\transfer,
       or too many mounted file systems

..clearly doesn't.  (I've only got about 3 mounted file systems BTW).

Am I missing something obvious?  How do I go about narrowing down the
problems with "mount"?  Thanks in advance for any help.

James.