[sclug] [OT] Banking site *Requires* use of Internet Exploiter

Matt matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Thu Sep 8 15:15:33 UTC 2005

* Simon Huggins <huggie at earth.li> [2005-09-08 16:04:19]:
> On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 03:35:39PM +0100, Matt wrote:
> > * Paul Wright <wrighty at gmail.com> [2005-09-08 14:06:27]:
> > > Obviously I'd be much happier if they did a cross-browser version but
> > > I don't see anyway of doing that with current technologies without
> > > maintaining two or more versions, basically one for each browser.  (If
> > > anyone has any suggestions for how this could be accomplished I'd be
> > > happy to hear them.)  As you mention, the egg site itself is entirely
> > > workable with Firefox - it's just money manager that needs the ActiveX
> > > part of IE.
> > Why not use a Java Applet?

> One of our suppliers had a java applet for a helpdesk system.  It ran in
> many browsers absolutely fine.  But only on a particular JVM revision
> (1.4 I believe) which was absolutely useless.  Also the failure mode was
> that it wouldn't fill a drop down list on the wrong JVM type.  It didn't
> come up with a "you are running this on the wrong version of java"
> warning or anything as sensible as that.  *sigh*
>
> I would hope that it is possible to write java applets that do work
> nicely across JVM versions and browsers but my experience of them so far
> has been shockingly bad.

Sure. Just giving what I can only think of as the only example of a
cross-platform, cross-browser, client-side solution. No, I don't
particularly like them either.

> Why can't people just write proper standards compliant sites that render
> everywhere eh?

That would be my preference too. My on-line banking site (Halifax) works
fine in Firefox and Safari.

Matt
--
"Accept anything. Then explain it your way."