[sclug] DHCP Server on Suse 9.3

Malcolm Napier 14cc malcolm.napier at 14cc.com
Fri Sep 9 08:50:17 UTC 2005

Help (for a newbie) please?

I have an IBM T22 laptop on which I have installed SuSe 9.3 Professional.

I have managed to set the laptop up to use a Global Fusion 3G PCMCIA card to
access the Internet.

What I now want to do is to make the laptop into a DHCP server, firewall
(and ultimately web cache). I intend to be able to connect a switch to the
onboard NIC in the laptop and share Internet access with a number of other
PCs.

I am trying to set up the DHCP server using YAST

I have been through the DHCP Server configuration wizard and made my best
guess at the settings required. However, at the point at which I click "Save
Settings and Restart DHCP Server Now" the wizard writes the DHCP server
settings, writes the firewall settings but fails to restart the DHCP server
with the error message "Error occurred while restarting DHCP daemon"

I am attempting to make the following entries in the DHCP Server Wizard

Interface the DHCP server should use:   Onboard NIC
Open Firewall for Selected interface:   enabled

Domain name:                            site
Primary Name server IP:                 192.168.0.1
Secondary Name server IP:
Default Gateway (Router):               192.168.0.1
NTP Time Server:
Print Server:
WINS Server:
Default Lease Time:                     4 Hours

First IP Address:                       192.168.0.33
Last IP Address:                        192.168.0.64
Lease Time:                             4 Hours
Max Lease Time:                         2 Days

Booting:                                Start DHCP Server When Booting
Switch On and Off:                      Save Settings and Restart DHCP
Server Now

The onboard NIC is set up as follows (again using YAST)

Static IP address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask:       255.255.255.0

Detailed settings:

Hostname:          moulton
Domain name:       site
Name Server 1:
Name Server 2:
Name Server 3:
Domain Search 1:
Domain Search 2:
Domain Search 3:
Default Gateway:
IP forwarding:     enabled

I am guessing that I have a setting wrong somewhere, but I haven't been able
to work out which one.

Worse - if it isn't a setting then I have no idea of where to start to
diagnose the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Malcolm