[sclug] xmms mp4 (was Odd TOCs on CDs)

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Fri Sep 9 20:13:05 UTC 2005

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, John Stumbles wrote:

> Bob Franklin wrote:
>> mobile (Sony-Ericsson K750i).  This probably the way things are going
>> (MPEG-4 audio) because of support in various sections of the industry.
>
> Talking of which ... anyone know how to get xmms to play mp4 files? I did
> apt-get install xmms-mp4
> (on kubuntu hoary) but when I point xmms at an .mp4 or a directory full of
> them it says:
> libmp4v2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> which seems reasonable since 'find' doesn't find it either.

Google
<http://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu+libmp4v2> seems to imply there's a
libmpv42 package you can install. Maybe the xmms-mp4 dependencies are
incomplete and apt didn't figure out it was necessary.

Alternatively, Google also reckons there's an xmms-mp4plugin package.

Best Regards,
Alex (RH/Fedora/CentOS user)
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?