[sclug] CF IDE Booting

Peter Brewer p.w.brewer at reading.ac.uk
Tue Sep 13 13:22:19 UTC 2005

We bought several CF IDE adapters
(http://linitx.com/product_info.php?cPath=39&products_id=448) hoping to
use them to boot our servers - unfortunately we are having some problems.

What we are trying to build is a system with the CF containing "/boot"
and a collection of SATA HD's in a series of RAID5's containing
everything else.  The reason being that you can't boot from RAID5 (as
far as I understand?) and we wanted an easily changeable 'disk' to hold
the boot info.

We have tried installing Ubuntu, Debian and Suse and none of them manage
to setup /boot on the CF successfully.  Ubuntu and Debian both report
the following error when the partitioner tries to write to the CF:

"Input/Output error during read on..."

Suse on the other hand gets all the way through phase 1 of the installer
but when it reboots for phase 2 GRUB throws an error.

I should add when added to a functioning system I can successfully mount
and access the CF device as a read/write disk.

Any ideas what is going wrong?

Many thanks

Peter Brewer