[sclug] phones, photos and PC's

Welby McRoberts welby at wheely-bin.co.uk
Tue Sep 13 19:37:47 UTC 2005

Neil Haughton wrote:

> Along similar lines, has anyone had decent results with Skype? I tried
> it to a landline (SkypeOut or whatever it is), and the quality was
> appalling - my correspondent on the landline end complained that his
> voice was echoed badly with a couple of seconds' latency, making it
> pretty difficult to hold a conversation (because his echo overlaid my
> reply) so we ended up doing a lot of 'Roger Roger' and 'Over and Out'
> stuff, which takes me back to shortwave radio and is jolly nostalgic
> but hardly modern comms. Is this echo effect (and talking-down-a-pipe
> effect too) something we can look forward too when VoIP takes off in
> the consumer market, I wonder?

In my opinion skype is damaging the VoIP/ IP Communications
market.Everyone thinks that skype is the be all and end all of VoIP.
Which is most infuriating as my experience of skype is much the same as
Neils. whilst I have to admit i've not used it in a few months I still
dont see what the big whoo haaaa about skype is. IMO its just yet
another free VoIP Service. I've used VOIP for my home communications for
the last 2 years now having sampled a few providers (i've always gone
via a internal asterisk server) and i'm appaled at the lack of quality
skype seems to have. In my opinion if its not supported via Asterisk,
its not worth considering :P I've currently settled for a few sipgate
DDI's and a couple of voip provider accounts (one of which being
broadvoice).  I'd say the quality overall (excluding a few hicups) is
equal / better than toll.