[sclug] System catatonia

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Thu Sep 15 12:01:46 UTC 2005

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, James Wyper wrote:

>>> it only started after I
>> upgraded
>>> my kernel to 2.6.
>>
>> Is that a kernel.org kernel, the original 10.1 release kernel, or
>> Mandrake's
>> latest errata kernel for 10.1?
>>
>> If either of the former options, upgrade to the latest errata kernel
>> and see
>> if that fixes it.
>
> It's the original 10.1 release kernel (and in answer to Taiyo's
> question, this machine was upgraded from Mdk 9 to Mdk 10.1; the whole
> distro not just the kernel)
>
> I did try the errata kernel recently because I had an unrelated USB2
> PCI card problem (which I'm now 95% certain is a hardware issue).  The
> newer kernel didn't fix the USB problem but did break my PCMCIA support
> (or ISA to PCMCIA bridge; I forget which) so I stayed with the
> original.  I guess I can have another go and see if I can fix the
> PCMCIA problem rather than run away from it.

That approach is always to be preferred. I have to say, also, that your
story is yet another that makes me doubt Mandrakesoft's QA processes...

<http://www.google.com/search?q=magic%20sysrq>

> James.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?