[sclug] Mailto in Firefox not working - what to do?

Damion Yates damiony at is.bbc.co.uk
Wed Sep 21 22:18:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Simon Huggins wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 05:22:20PM +0100, Damion Yates wrote:
> > They also do stupid things like make Ctrl-U not clear line, but view
> > src, I can't get over how many steps back in the Unix desktop world
> > I'm still having to go through some 12years after 1st starting to use
> > X as my main system.
>
> You can get back CTRL-U if you:
> 	- run an xsettings manager (as per KDE, GNOME, xfce) and set its
> 	  keyboard stuff to "Emacs".
> 	- if you don't run an xsettings manager put
> 	  gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs"
> 	  in ~/.gtkrc-2.0

Yes yes.. I sorted that a month ago!

desk05:~$ ls -l .gtkrc-2.0
-rw-r--r--   1 damiony        29 Aug 22 15:38 .gtkrc-2.0
desk05:~$ cat !$
cat .gtkrc-2.0
gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs"
desk05:~$

My point is that they did it in the 1st place.  There are far too many
pretty competent programmers coming out of university or school, with
no knowledge of the history behind some of the systems they are
starting to discover.  So when they find Linux/*BSD they get all
excited (not surprising it's dead good), but then they code ports for
windows stuff, or create kio interfaces to stuff, or come up with FUSE
rather than find existing tools, or portable nfs daemons.. I could go
on.

Thanks,

Damion

--