[sclug] RAID 5

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Thu Sep 22 11:26:44 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 12:10:55PM +0100, Alex Butcher wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Tim Sutton wrote:
> >Could I flip the question around a bit and ask :
> >- Which distro makes raid configuration easiest (debian based preferably)?
> I gather Debian uses RH's Anaconda installer these days. In which
> case, I'd expect Debian to now be as easy as RH has been for the last
> few years.

No, Debian uses debian-installer which isn't anaconda based at all.
Progeny do use Anaconda and they are Debian based/derived or something.

I'm not especially convinced by partman in Debian when setting up RAID
but it is possible and it will do it all from the installer.  I only
setup RAID 1 though.

I was doing it over a 9600 serial console though so the many screen
refreshes required in partman killed me.

--
----------(   Documentation is worth it just to be able to   )----------
Simon ----(   answer all your mail with 'RTFM' - Alan Cox    )---- Nomis