[sclug] RAID 5 - Summary

Scott Rixon scott at green-flag.com
Thu Sep 22 20:54:46 UTC 2005

Alex Butcher wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Scott Rixon wrote:
>
>> PS. I would have bought a hardware RAID card with 8 SATA connection.
>> (Oh and a hotswap one at that)
>

> SATA is specified to be hotpluggable. Whether all SATA implementations
> are,
> of course, is another matter entirely (especially when it comes to PC
> hardware...)
>
> What model did you go for, out of interest?
>
> Best Regards,
> Alex.

I didn't buy one.. Just would.. I like the Adaptec stuff. They use their
SCSI (Big stuff) BIOS on the small cards. But how Debian likes it I
don't know..

I have an LSI PATA card that works just fine in my Debian box..

There are some really nice SATA hotswap cases around.. If you're going
to build a server get a proper case. It will pay for it's self when you
hotplug a failed drive so don't have to stay late to down a rip apart
the box!

Full hotswap is the way to go.. Fans, PSU, disks.

Scott