[sclug] What bits? (was RAID 5 - Summary)

Peter Brewer p.w.brewer at reading.ac.uk
Fri Sep 23 08:28:15 UTC 2005

Derek M Jones wrote:

> Peter,
>
>> Athon 3200+
>> 2Gb RAM
>> Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo
>> 8x 250Gb Seagate SATA HDs
>> 2x HP Promise SATA RAID controllers
>> D26 Rackmount case from avrio.co.uk (Great stuff, great guys, great
>> service)
>

> Thanks for the info.
>
> I am thinking of using the ASUS A8N-SLI because the onboard
> raid controllers allow eight devices to be attached.
> What made you go for mobo+plug-in controllers?

Price!  The whole lot including rack mount case came in under ?1k.
Same reason for 2x 4 port controllers rather than 1x 8 port.  I would
have gone for a mobo with 8x onboard SATA, but our rack is shallow, thus
needed a shallow rackmount case, thus needed a micro-ATX mobo and
couldn't find one with more than 4x onboard SATA.

Would like to reiterate that avrio.co.uk are great for cases.  They've
been so helpful that I feel compelled to do so free advertising for them!

Cheers

Pete