[sclug] installing Debian on HP Proliant ML110 G3

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Sat Aug 19 19:18:10 UTC 2006

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 05:29:31PM +0100, Rachel wrote:
> So, I grabbed the latest version of the Etch netinstall which
> detected the disk fine and installed the base system.

Personally when the sarge installer has problems I prefer to boot
off a recent ubuntu or knoppix live cd/dvd and debootstrap install
debian sarge then use a vanilla kernel or one from backports.org.

There are other ways but I find this the quickest for the first
time (I use images after that).

> However I have discovered that apache2 (which I don't want) IS
> installed despite the fact I didn't select this during installation.
> If I try to remove apache2 apt tells me it is not installed - it is,
> I can start and stop it and browse to localhost using Lynx.

Do a dpkg -l and see if you can find the correct package there?

Mine is called apache2-common.

Cheers,
Andy

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB