[sclug] Wireless card on Linux

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 21 16:05:57 UTC 2006

>  I suppose I'm really seeking a painless solution, if there is one.

Probably not.

You may have heard of these sites already, but:

ndiswrapper (ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net) works by providing a wrapper
around the windows binary drivers for some wireless cards
madwifi (madwifi.org - includes compatibility list) provides a driver
for the popular atheros chipset.  Bits of it are closed source (in case
that bothers you).

Be aware that some cards (e.g. my recently acquired DWL-G630) come in
several different revisions, possibly involving different chipsets and,
therefore, differing compatibility issues.

HTH
James.