[sclug] Shell link / netcat alike with SSL and more Raz?

Roland Turner SCLUG raz.fpyht.bet.hx at raz.cx
Fri Feb 10 09:39:51 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 09:10 +0000, Simon Huggins wrote:

> 2.	Raz, I don't think it was this meeting but one a while ago you
> 	mentioned a netcat alike that did SSL and other bits as well.
> 	Obviously I've entirely forgotten this useful information :)
> 	I've just installed stunnel but I'd rather have something more
> 	flexible in my toolkit.

I would have been talking about socat, which really does appear to cover
pretty much everything, including some quite unreasonable things.

- Raz

P.S. OK, I can't resist giving some examples of "unreasonable". How
about a UDP terminal server:

    socat UDP4-LISTEN:1234 GOPEN:/dev/ttyS0

or, you're stuck behind a web proxy, and want to get syslog out:

    socat UDP4-LISTEN:514 PROXY:proxyhost:loghost:514

or perhaps:

    socat UDP4-LISTEN:514 OPENSSL:localhost:7514
    socat TCP4-LISTEN:7514 PROXY:proxyhost:loghost:7514

the list goes on...