[sclug] Bracknell Infopoint 12th Feb '06 report

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Tue Feb 14 09:00:15 UTC 2006

I ran another Infopoint table at Bracknell monthly Computer Fair last
Sunday, the third time. There was a steady interest from people. A few
had been thinking of linux for a time and wanted to know more. I was
single handed and the day was busy.

Several occasions there were a couple of people waiting while an
existing conversation was dealt with. The PC I use as a demo PC has
several distros and 'doze, but is very slow (PII, it had been destined
for the skip) and if a conversation moves towards a reboot and another
distro, it takes time and patience.

Most interest comes at the extreme newbie or 'want to get away from
windows' level (which I am very comfortable with). A few people are
experienced and want to see if I know for example which TV card will
be linux compatible etc. (I don't). On one occasion I was acting as an
introduction agency for two who both wanted TV card information......

One person even wanted to know what the difference was between all the
versions of linux. The world of 'kernel', 'distribution' and apps etc
took a little gentle explaining. DSL on a usb stick raises eybrows. I
wish I could demo it but the PC does not boot from usb.

British Computer Fairs seem fairly willing to provide a freebie table
if they have one spare. OK so far.

Apart from when I am away, I will try to have an event each month, at
least for a while. (I am away now for about 10 days).

If anyone is interested and available, please consider coming to help?
Parking is easy and free.
--
alan cocks