[sclug] Fortnightly Linux media lab in Reading, starts this Sat

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Feb 14 09:36:47 UTC 2006

Ahoy,

I mentioned this in the deep dark past :) Remix Reading, the local free
culture / Creative Commons project, is running a fortnightly open media lab
in the Rising Sun Arts Centre every other Saturday.

The computers all run Kubuntu Linux and lots of other arty free software, so
it's a great opportunity for any SCLUG-ers to come and promote Linux to
people, run regular install fests, hang out, teach others and learn a bit
more about using Linux too.

We launch this Saturday during the Rising Sun Arts Centre's relaunch, after a
long and fun refurbishment. The first "proper" lab will happen on the 4th
March. The official announcement with more blurb is here:
http://www.remixreading.org/node/716

We're also looking for more techies to help me out in administering the
machines, refurbishing more donated old equipment (donations welcome!) and
generally making the lab run smoothly. I'm probably leaving Reading in July
so this is something we really need to do over the next few months. We hope
it will be a long term thing, and have applied for a grant to fund some
equipment (Wacom tablets, scanner) and proper workshops, so we'll be able to
get gurus from the free software arts world down to Reading. I'm also hoping
that Larry Lessig will visit next time he's in the UK - he said he might :)

So, urm, yes, come down and help out! I should imagine we'll be there from
something like 11am-5pm on this Sat.

Regards,
Tom

--
I'm aware that e-mails to me may be blocked by my host
because they are mistaken as spam. If this happens,
please e-mail me at: telex4 at yahoo.com