[sclug] URL encoding/decoding question

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Sun Feb 19 18:15:03 UTC 2006

On Sunday 19 February 2006 17:32, Roland Turner (SCLUG) wrote:
[...]
> You are URL encoding _entire_ HTML documents? How long are the resulting
> URLs? Or are you URL-encoding for some other reason?

As an aside:

A while back I wrote a web-based space warfare game called Stellation. (Now
defunct source code is available on Sourceforge, should anyone care.) The
system it was written in couldn't generate images directly, so I called out
to an external CGI script to generate maps. The main engine would encode the
map data in the URL of the CGI call.

I discovered that most web browsers fail, horribly, when dealing with very
long URLs. I had a number of outright crashes, some deeply bizarre graphics
corruption when displaying the URL bar text, and occasionally the text of the
URL itself would get mangled. This was testing with Mozilla and Internet
Explorer (it was all pre-Firefox).

I sincerely hope that the crashes have been fixed by now, but they've probably
been replaced with arbitrary limits to how long you can make a URL; either
way, storing large amounts of data in a URL is definitely *not* a viable
solution to anything...

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "They laughed at Newton. They laughed at Einstein.
+- www.cowlark.com --+