[sclug] Long distance Wifi

Peter Brewer p.w.brewer at reading.ac.uk
Mon Feb 27 18:15:16 UTC 2006

Hi guys,

We have a place on a hill in the depths of Wales and would like to get
broadband.  Unfortunately we are too far from the exchange to get it
directly although some friends have it in the village down in the
'valley'.  I was wondering about the possibility of using point-to-point
antenna to do wifi from our friends.  I've seen loads of commercial and
'pringles can' antenna on the web but nobody seems willing to put a
distance on their performance.

First, is this actually possible?  How far can these antenna work?  Our
closest friends are about 1km away in direct line of sight.
Second, is it legal?  How do people like BT view sharing a broadband
line like this?

Cheers

Pete