[sclug] World's first Open movie released

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Thu Jun 8 14:42:13 UTC 2006

John Barron wrote:
> http://www.elephantsdream.org/
> Elephants Dream is the world?s first open movie, made entirely with open
> source graphics software such as Blender, and with all production files
> freely available to use however you please, under a Creative Commons license.

OK but what do you play it on? (I'm on Debian Sarge/stable)

I've finally got the whole thing by torrent.

$ ls -l Elephants_Dream_1024.avi
-r--r--r--  3 john john 445866736 2006-06-08 09:14 Elephants_Dream_1024.avi
$ file Elephants_Dream_1024.avi
Elephants_Dream_1024.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI

but xine says there is no demuxer plugin available to handle the file
(and I can't see any plugins for it - at least, not in the debian world)
#apt-cache search xine | grep plug
kaffeine-mozilla - mozilla plugin that lanches kaffeine for supported
media types
libarts1-xine - xine plugin for arts
I think 'arts' is a sound-system-ey thing which doesn't sound like the
plugin I need.

[g]mplayer plays the video but says:

alsa-init: no soundcards found: Success
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound

I know that's a problem with my machine, not the file, but I've no idea
what to do about it: google shows that someone else has had the same
problem, but no solution:

bah!  I bet it wasn't any good, anyway :-/

--
John Stumbles