[sclug] Re: Seagate ST3300831A-RK Barracuda 300GB 7200RPM disk

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Mar 4 18:33:48 UTC 2006

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006, Graham wrote:

> 	Is it Seagate that have purchased WesternDigital?

I don't think so. You might be thinking of Seagate's acquisition of Maxtor:

"Seagate Technology (NYSE: STX) and Maxtor Corporation (NYSE: MXO) today
announced that the waiting period under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust
Improvements Act of 1976, with respect to the proposed acquisition of Maxtor
by Seagate, has expired. As a result, no further anti-trust regulatory
review of the merger will be necessary in the United States. As previously
announced, the transaction is subject to other customary closing conditions
and regulatory approvals by the competition review authorities of the
European Union and several other jurisdictions as well as authorization by
shareholders of both companies. Both parties continue to expect the
transaction to close during the second half of 2006, following approval from
shareholders of both companies and the satisfaction of all other closing
conditions."

<http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/article/0,1121,2979%5E2,00.html>

Maxtor have been failing to be competitive for a while, so hopefully it'll
just be a case of Seagate keeping Maxtor's production facilities and staff.
It'd be a shame if Seagate start using current Maxtor designs lock, stock
and barrel (Maxtor may well have some technologies worth borrowing, though).

> 	You could simply buy your way out of it,
> 	but of you are looking for bargains, try elsewhere,
> 	ebuyer is a pig-in-a-poke.

I've dealt with dabs.com (who have a similarly bad rep) and had no problems.
These days, I use insight.com purely because I get a discount there. No
problems there either, and they replaced an el cheapo switch with no hassle.

> 	Graham

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?