[sclug] Form printouts from database

Peter Brewer p.w.brewer at reading.ac.uk
Fri Mar 10 17:16:44 UTC 2006

Hi guys,

I'm wanting to create highly formatted output for printing (preferably
pdf) from a databas - e.g. invoices with logos and tables etc etc.
Previously I have used PHP and LaTeX for outputting printed reports from
a database but these have always been much more simple text based
documents.  Does anyone know a LaTeX package for doing more tightly
designed outputs?  Alternatively, is there any other way I can achieve this?

I had (with great reservations) contemplated doing it in M$ Word with a
mail merge but the structure of the data is too complicated as it
contains a "one-to-many" table join.  Word can handle doing all the
name, address, ref numbers etc at the top of the invoice but I don't
think it can handle doing the repeated 'item, description, price' bits
in the main body.  Am I right?  As far as I'm aware Word can only manage
doing a mail-merge on a flat table or query from a database.

Anyway - any suggestions would be great and the more Linuxy the better!

Cheers

Pete