[sclug] cloning a debian installation

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Mon Mar 13 10:52:32 UTC 2006

I've got a new bigger hdd for my desktop and, rather than copying
everything across with tar or dd, I'd like to do a fresh install but
include all (or most) of my currently installed packages.

It looks as if dpkg-query -l will give me a list of currently installed
packages, and I suppose I could throw these all at apt-get but I can see
soem problems with this such as the package names in dpkg-query being
truncated and installation resulting in a lot of hiatuses (hiati?) as
various packages stop and prompt for various configuration parameters.
Surely there's some neat way to do this?

Also, I assume I can save download time if I put all my
/var/cache/apt/archives files on a dvd or something local that the new
install can read rather than get from the network. Is there a particular
format to save the files in to make them available to the installation
process?

tia
--
John Stumbles