[sclug] What to use LVM for

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Wed Mar 15 15:58:33 UTC 2006

Thinking of how to partition my new 300G hdd for my desktop I'm
wondering about LVM. It seems I could add the whole drive to a volume
group and allocate all my partitions out of that. Is it safe/possible to
do this for my root and swap partions as well as /home and any others or
should I have those as old fashioned cast-in-stone partitions?

And if so how does one set up LVM when doing a debian (sarge) install? I
can't remember (and don't yet have a machine handy to try it on) if LVM
is an option during the install process. Will there be anything
machine-specific I'll wish I'd found out before starting the
installation? :-)

--
John Stumbles