[sclug] What to use LVM for

Tom Dawes-Gamble tmdg at weardale.cl
Thu Mar 16 23:46:34 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 00:29 +0000, Alex Butcher wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Tom Dawes-Gamble wrote:
> >> Something I do recommend doing is renaming the physical volume from
>
> (I should have said 'Volume Group' not 'physical volume' here)
>
> >> 'Volume00' or whatever to something like '0603300GSEAGhda5' (i.e. 2006,
> >> March, 300G, Seagate, hda5), so that if you ever host it in a machine that
> >> already has LVM volumes, you'll hopefully avoid naming clashes.
> >

> > I don't think you need to do that.  When you do the vgscan to discover
> > the disk it know that it does not belong to the original Volume00 and so
> > creates it as Volume01.
>
> IIRC, it's not quite as slick as that. ISTR you end up having to specify
> which block devices are members of of the VG. And I'm not sure you'll be
> able to bring both VGs online simultaneously without having to rename one.

Yuck!!!  this is new behaviour.  I really only played with LVM1 thats
the only before they started bundling LVM in Red Hat and the like.  In
those days it worked more like the way LVM on HPUX works.

I just tested taking the drive out of my laptop and plugging it in via
USB adaptor Yes getting the drive to work is  a nightmare.

I may well have broken my laptop LVM structure in attempting to get on
to the workstation.

I'll let you know my solution if I find one other than reinstall.  :-)

Tom.
Those that understand Binary and those that don't.