[sclug] Auto-reply for old address with maildrop

ed ed at s5h.net
Sun Mar 19 09:36:49 UTC 2006

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 09:11:32 +0000
Patrick <patrick at kirks.net> wrote:

> What does reply 550 mean?

> Roland Turner (SCLUG) wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 15:11 +0000, Tom Chance wrote:

> > I have seen broken auto-responders so many times that I'd avoid
> > using them wherever possible. Are you in control of the MTA and, if
> > so, why not reply 550 with a short message in the human-readable
> > portion of the message?

550 is the status code, much like HTTP server responses, 2xx is
successful, 5xx is usually bad. In this case, 5xx means "Do not try
again, this error was fatal". 4xx errors on the other hand mean "Could
not deliver the mail right now, so try again later". Most sending MTAs
are configured to retry on default for a week before finally giving up.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.s5h.net
:%s/\t/  /g                      :: proud unix system person