[sclug] multiple X servers

darren at davisononline.org darren at davisononline.org
Mon Mar 20 20:35:31 UTC 2006

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 03:38:32PM +0000, Simon Huggins wrote:
> Is rigging it with startx -- :1 for the second user good enough?

although now I find a problem that I've always had, but worked around rather
than fixed. I use DRI, but for some reason, this never loads correctly first
time of asking.  In the Xorg log I get "(EE) I810(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit
failed. Disabling DRI."

In the past, a log out of the windowmanager back to KDM or GDM (whatever was
flavour of the month) and a log back in fixed it.  A restart of the X server
always causes DRI to fail to load.

It looks like a timing issue, but either way, now I've dispensed with GDM, I
don't get DRI since I'm always restarting the server.

darren at garbo ~ $ glxinfo | head -n 3
name of display: :1.0
display: :1  screen: 0
direct rendering: No