[sclug] Auto-reply for old address with maildrop

ed ed at s5h.net
Mon Mar 20 21:05:17 UTC 2006

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 20:55:18 +0000
Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net> wrote:

> I'm using maildrop to do the filtering from emails picked up by
> Postfix. But sending error messages back seems a bit over the top. I
> want to still get the emails, but just send a friendly message back
> asking them to use my newer address.

Might be over crude, but its possible to fashion a perl script to keep a
hash table of mail files so that when new mail comes in your cron job
runs, looks for new email addresses against files not in the hash table,
then redirects a mail file to their address.

Maildrop is for post delivery processing. (Yes I know that could
ambiguous!)

> Has anyone got any solutions up their sleeve for this, or comments on
> my  attempt with maildrop?

Beware the auto responders...

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.s5h.net
:%s/\t/  /g                      :: proud unix system person