[sclug] ADSL and Web Hosting

Simon Champion simon at spudley.com
Tue Mar 21 19:35:24 UTC 2006

Hia,

Just to add a point here -- I notice the previous reply was recommending Plus
net....  and if you were just asking about ASDL, I would be quite happy to go
along with that; I have friends who use Plus net ASDL, and I've heard no
complaints.

But you were asking about hosting as well, and I can tell you from first hand
experience that Plus Net's hosting arrangements for anything more than
straightforward HTML pages are diabolical.

I'm currently writing a php/mysql-based website for a friend of mine who uses
Plus, and it's been a nightmare to get set up. You don't even get PHP support
on Plus's basic home package, and when you do pay the extra and get it turned
it on, their highly unusual configuration still makes things very difficult.

So my overall recommendation if you're after a company that provides ASDL and
hosting would be to look somewhere else. There's plenty of companies that do
provide fast ASDL who'll give you a much better hosting service than Plus.

Hope that helps.  (probably not, eh? ;-) )

All the best,

   SimonC.

(ps - I should point out here that I work for a company that does provide both
ASDL and hosting, but generally to businesses rather than home users. In the
interest of impartiality, I won't promote them here)