[sclug] Nvidia and Ubuntu.

Dickon Hood sclug at splurge.fluff.org
Sun May 21 18:28:32 UTC 2006

On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 17:41:57 +0100, John Stumbles wrote:
: Pieter Claassen wrote:
: >On Sunday 21 May 2006 15:11, Dickon Hood wrote:

: >>The average is defined to be 100.  When developing IQ tests you need to

: >Ha, but then you have not heard that more than 50% of people think that
: >they are above average intelligent ;-)

Quite true :-)

: Is it just fluke that if you bother to do the IQ tests on pages that
: pop-up off some web sites they show that you've got prodigiously high
: IQ, then invite you to pay for further tests. I suppose the real
: intelligence test is whether you're smart enough to resist the lure :-0

Mmm.  Most of those IQ tests are designed for Americans, and as such the
results aren't directly comparable.  IQ tests are fairly strongly tied to
your culture, which is why when it comes to dealing with any random
natives whose country you have just invaded, it's very simple to 'prove'
that they're of sub-normal intelligence, and so can be treated like
animals...  Much the same goes for immigrants; various far-right groups
have historically used such things.

It gets a bit messy.

As an aside, on the original Test the Nation, we had several different
backchannels for evaluating users' results.  DSAT (Sky) boxes have a
modem, and could dial up, and the Internet results were, of course,
submitted to the webservers.  Sky users' average IQ was IIRC 92, and
Internet users' 110.  Amusing, I felt.

--
Dickon Hood

Due to digital rights management, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.