[sclug] How to stop checking for spam on mailing list posts

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Mon Sep 4 21:48:35 UTC 2006

Ahoy,

I'm a bit fed up of the system load imposed by SpamAssassin, and it's a bit
annoying having it check every single mail including those going to mailing
lists. I can't remember a single item of spam hitting a list I'm currently
subscribed to, so I'd like to reconfigure my server to leave those be and
save my VM some effort.

At the moment I have these two lines in /etc/postfix/master.cf:

smtp      inet  n       -       -       -       -       smtpd
        -o content_filter=spamassassin

spamassassin unix -     n       n       -       -       pipe
        flags=Rq user=spamfilter argv=/usr/bin/spamc -f -e
        /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -f ${sender} ${recipient}

I thought that I might change the ~/.mailfilter files to send non-list email
to SA, and remove the relevant lines from the Postfix conf.

I've not yet cooked up a recipe to do this, so I'd be grateful for any
suggestions and advise before I go and spend time trying to make it work :)

Regards,
Tom

--
The task of critique is not to denounce the ideals, but to show their
transformation into ideologies, and to challenge the ideology in the