[sclug] Scanning

Ed Davies sclug at edavies.nildram.co.uk
Fri Sep 8 13:54:01 UTC 2006

Roland Turner (SCLUG) wrote:
> Erm, have you checked? Most Astras are supported...

My UMAX Astra 2100U (that's "U" for USB) sort of works - it
scans and produces an image which is related to what's on
the bed but there's something really weird about the colours
produced.  It's not just that they're changed, there's
another pattern overlayed which is regularish but not
completely so.  Sort of like some sort of decompression
isn't quite right or something.

A bit of googling shows that the driver has been abandoned.
The 2100U support in this driver seems to be a bit of an
afterthought from the main scanners it supports.  Sorry,
can't remember which.  There is a separate driver for the
SCSI version of the scanner which, apparently, works OK.
Maybe some code needs to be ported across from that.

For the time being, scanning is one of the small number of
reasons I boot into Windows occasionally.  (The other
main one is maintenance of some old VB 3 code).

Ed.