[sclug] php skills

ed ed at s5h.net
Fri Sep 22 17:10:04 UTC 2006

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 17:39:39 +0100
David Herring <dave at netfm.org> wrote:

> Anyone familiar with php + smart + adodb on this list ?
>
> Have a php application - say 10,000 lines, but want to ask some
> questions on the best way to code the data abstraction - or change it
> from the existing. Willing to pay for some advice / consultancy - if
> that helps.

Base it on other large project's would be a good start. Most people have
a dbinclude file, which presents a common class name, for example;

mysql.php:

class db {
  function db() {
    $this->init();
  }
}

Using the same method names within each database access file makes it
rather simple to alter the data provider.

> On the same note - what are peoples views on using an offshore India
> based service to get some work done on this ? $12 an hour they quote,
> has anyone tried this ? Would rather pay for an experienced local
> person  - but seem to be hard to find ?

I don't know personally but I hear that the communication over head
normally brings up the total cost of using off shore to something
similar to that of doing it in shore.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.bsdwarez.net
just another python person