[sclug] Wireless

n.a.haughton@bigfoot.com haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 24 20:15:23 UTC 2006

Two questions:

1. I have a Netgear WG311v3 wireless adapter fitted. It's fine with WinXP,
but I want to install it into Linux. The trouble is that doing so with
Mandriva or Ubuntu or Suse10 even appears to be about as painless and
straightforward as extracting my teeth without an anaesthetic. The WG311v3
uses a Marvel chipset, it appears, which none of these distros support
directly, so I have to resort to ndiswrapper, but for all these distros that
too  appears to be a nightmare to install.

Can anyone point me to a distro that will support my wireless card out of
the box, with or without ndiswrapper?

2. I tried to install Suse10, but the partitioner part of the installation
seems to label existing partitions as hde1, hde2 etc, instead of hda1 hda2
etc. I was a bit worried that this was the portent of doom, so I hastily
aborted. Can anyone offer a rational explanation of why Suse thinks my
partitions start at 'e'? Is this normal?

Neil Haughton