[sclug] Hosts.deny for NFS deny on Redhat Ent 4 update 4

Martin Summers Martin.Summers at ansys.com
Wed Apr 18 11:41:00 UTC 2007

Hello Everyone,

I have been scratching my head on this one this morning: I have a
handful of hosts that I want to temporarily ban from a large NFS server
which is served from a redhat4 update 4 server.
I have been populating the hosts.deny file so that is looks something
like:-

ALL : 10.121.9.187
ALL : 10.121.9.229
ALL : 10.121.9.176
ALL : 10.121.9.186
ALL : 10.121.9.188
ALL : 10.121.9.217
ALL : 10.121.9.205
ALL : 10.121.9.204
ALL : 10.121.9.180
ALL : 10.121.9.228

And hosts.allow is blank - just the usual default comments in it. I have
restarted the nfs portmap service just to make sure, but unfortunately,
I can still NFS mount from this host from these IP addresses.
Am I doing something daft here ? It seemed to work fine on the SuSE 9.3
NFS server I tested it on.....

Any ideas - I'd be glad to hear them !

Regards,

Martin

Martin Summers
UNIX System Administrator
ANSYS Europe Ltd
Martin.Summers at ansys.com
Phone: +44 (0)870 142 0296
Fax: +44 (0)870 142 0301
www.ansys.com
material from any computer.
ANSYS Europe Ltd., registered in England and Wales, is a wholly owned
subsidiary of ANSYS, Inc.
Company Registration No: 3157753. Registered Office: 47 Castle Street,
Reading, Berkshire, RG1 7SR. VAT No: GB 642 1215 80.