[sclug] Personal Web server

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 24 15:14:47 UTC 2007

David Given wrote:

> Well, lighttpd, thttpd and apache all run on Unix, Windows and MacOS --- are
> those the three operating systems you're interested in?

Based on my experience, Apache (at least, Ubuntu's packaging thereof) is
a lot more newbie-friendly to configure (at least, the basics are) than
one might think. Surprisingly light, too.

Alternatively, since you're after cross-platform, how 'bout a Java
web-server? If you're familiar with Apache, Tomcat might be the answer
(although last time I looked, it had so much Web-Applications foo bolted
onto it that I completely failed to get the hang of it.) We use Jetty,
(http://jetty.mortbay.org) which embeds rather nicely. (Well, version 5
does; version 6 is has a completely different API which I've yet to get
to grips with, so I can't comment there.)

HTH

Will.