[sclug] good vfm hosting providers?

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Tue Dec 11 22:09:08 UTC 2007

Sprog's just registered himself a domain name (jmetron.com) with 123-reg
but found the thrown-in free web hosting only gives him a mickey mouse
site-builder gui, no ftp. I've been humming and haaing about buying some
hosting (sadly the black cat got eaten by a mythic beast :-)) so
thinking about a cheapo commodity hosting package. Any heads up on good
providers to go with, and what to look/watch out for?

Just basically a reasonable amount of web & email space and as little
frontpage/exchange bollards as possible. Just want to register a few
domains, point them at web and mail servers and push web pages up to
them / pop mail off them.

Looking at 123-reg's offerings (http://www.123-reg.co.uk/web-hosting/) I
can see for starters:
* no php (don't know if I'd want this, though I'm thinking I'd like to
run a mediawiki which I think wants that and mysql, so maybe a bit
ambitious for a budget hosting package)
* doesn't say anything about limits of mailbox sizes
* doesn't say how they count the 15 or whatever mailboxes, whether you
can point your domain name at the mailbox(es), any server-side spam
filtering
* what happens if you (your site visitors?) go over your data transfer limit

I'm sure I saw a more attractive looking package when I was browsing a
few weeks back but can't remember where now :-(

--
John Stumbles