[sclug] Fujitsu Siemens Amilo laptop - any good for Linux?

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Thu Dec 20 15:57:07 UTC 2007

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, John Stumbles wrote:

> Bob Redknap wrote:
>> http://www.rm.com/HE/Products/product.asp?cref=PD1030046
>>
>> Runs Linux but no-one here has got one. Looks useful ?

A colleague has one and it looks pretty cool. I'm considering buying one
when the 8G SSD/1GB RAM models are launched next year for about 300 quid,
instead of a replacement battery for my old Libretto 70CT. Form factor is
about the same, but the eeePC/miniBook has much more functionality.

> The URI fails to load for me, but I'm running noscript. It's impossible to
> retry with '[temporarily] allow' because noscript hasn't 'seen' the site.
> Going to www.rm.com gets a page and I can go to the HE page from that, which
> wants scripts on to search. However searching for PD1030046 gives nothing :-(

I used noscript for a while, but it's just too much hassle.

> In any case I'd presumably have to buy it through you or someone in .ac.uk to
> get it?

Toys R Us and dabs.com sell them too, as the eeePC. A little bit more
expensive, though.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK.                           PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
  - Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>