[sclug] Asus minibook. was Re: Fujitsu

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Mon Dec 24 10:25:02 UTC 2007

Bob Redknap wrote:
[...]
> I forgot to say it's an Asus minibook.

Actually, it's an Asus eee with RM branding. I bought mine off ebuyer
for about 200 pounds. It's really good, although it's not entirely
perfect: the screen *is* rather small, although beautifully clear and
crisp; the battery life is low, about 3 to 3.5 hours; the SD card reader
in the side is faulty and doesn't support SDHC cards properly; and the
bastards have stuck a 'warranty void if removed' sticker over the RAM
upgrade hatch.

(Inside the hatch is a SODIMM memory slot with a 512MB card in it, and a
mini-PCIe expansion slot. Apparently only the early models, including
mine, actually have the PCIe connector soldered on. [*] Black eees and
the later white ones don't. YMMV. Check forum.eeeuser.com for the details.)

The wireless chipset is an exotic Atheros, but Asus have released an
open-source driver (go Asus!). It works fine for me with Ubuntu, but I
did have to compile my own madwifi. The sound hardware is Intel HDA and
is a bit funky, as is the Attanasic (sp?) wired networking hardware.
Everything else is fairly vanilla. Graphics are Intel and actually does
have some 3D acceleration --- apparently it plays WoW at 15 fps, but
when I tried EVE on it it was unplayable. (This was on Windows.)

I wouldn't touch the RM ones, TBH. If you want one, buy a real one. RM
seem to have tinkered with theirs.

[*] Anyone know a source of interesting mini PCIe hardware?

--
David Given
dg at cowlark.com