[sclug] Who has the key to your Vista PC?

ed ed at s5h.net
Tue Feb 6 19:54:27 UTC 2007

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 18:33:41 +0000
Stuart Major <stuartmajor at phonecoop.coop> wrote:

> Well we all knew this already!
>
> Perhaps it's time to get political and join the only party that is
> interested in Free and Open-Source Software?

you can vote for me, when i run for election in this area sometime. my
policies will include martial law in the thames valley (army willing of
course) and a bus stop outside every house.

> "There will be thousands of tonnes of dumped monitors, video cards
> and whole computers that are perfectly capable of running Vista -
> except for the fact they lack the paranoid lock down mechanisms
> Vista forces you to use. That's an offensive cost to the environment.
>
> "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
> Layer' when they go through our landfill sites.

i don't know how true that is. it's certainly true if one wants the
aero glitz, which, let it be known, is very hardware offencive, those
stupid effects really don't need the hardware that it demands.

the packaging is, however, more offencive on the landfill sites. this
is the first time i think that there has been such a large quantity of
non-recyclable packaging. in the past there was always a large wood
based element. as far as i know that is, the box does not recycle. i
could be wrong, and stomp on me if i am. has anyone handled the box
packaging and can (dis)prove that?

and... when are cd's going to be bio-degradable? that'd be neat. im
sure the average person has one or two spindles worth of cds.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.gnunix.net
just another unix person