[sclug] RBL recommendations

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Mon Feb 12 16:25:26 UTC 2007

Ed Davies wrote:
[...]
> There must be millions of people who sometimes or always send mail
> through a different service than they use to receive incoming mail -
> e.g., people working at home who send via their home connection
> ISP's SMTP server but receive via their work POP3 address.

Surely if they're at work, they should be sending mail through their company
SMTP server? Regardless of the confusion involved in requiring people to reply
to a different address than the one they've received the message from, most
businesses would take a very dim view of using a home email address (and
therefore identity) for official purposes.

> Also
> people sending from a laptop anywhere away from their home or
> office where they can't easily get into their own smtp server.

VPN, surely?

[...]
> I've left the CC: David Given on this message.  Be interesting if
> he could check whether he gets this directly as well as through the
> sclug list.  I expect he will, actually, otherwise the block lists
> would be blocking all metronet outgoing e-mail which would be
> highly amusing for about 5 seconds.

As of time of posting, I have not received any email from relay.metronet.co.uk
(212.159.11.48), blocked or otherwise.

--
?