[sclug] RBL recommendations

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Mon Feb 12 22:09:54 UTC 2007

Keith Edmunds wrote:
[...]
> Whilst I wouldn't necessarily disagree, it's worth pointing out that the
> statement in parentheses is an opinion rather than a fact. You WILL find
> legitimate mail coming from those addresses.

Mmf.

The thing is, though, that email is above all else a *pragmatic* standard ---
people follow best practice rather than the letter of the RFC. Yes,
*technically* people can send mail from dynamically allocated IP ranges. *In
practice*, it's a really dumb thing to do, because large numbers of mail
servers --- such as anyone who uses spamhaus' PBL --- will reject your mail
out of hand.

I was in this position a few years ago, when I discovered that my personal
server was getting rejected from some major sites. I had two options: make a
fuss, or change my mail configuration. I picked the second option because it
was the one more likely to get my mail delivered.

Basically, if someone chooses to send email from a dynamic address you are
also choosing to have problems, which means I don't really have an awful lot
of sympathy with them when they *do* have problems.

(zen.spamhaus.org has rejected 1187 connections on my low-traffic personal
server since roughly midnight on Saturday. That's a lot of saved CPU cycles.)

--
? "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my