[sclug] kvm switch (> 2 port, electronic)

ed ed at s5h.net
Mon Jan 8 18:27:50 UTC 2007

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 13:39:16 +0000
John Stumbles <john at stumbles.org.uk> wrote:

> Any recommendations for KVM switches for more than 2 ports (nobody
> seems to do a 3 port :-() with peripheral emulation (so you can boot
> non-selected machines OK)
>
> I've seen 2 on DABS at reasonable prices:
>
> StarTech.com 4-Port PS/2 KVM Switch with cables - about ?40
> http://www.dabs.com/redirect.aspx?ReferrerID=EF&RedirectUrl=/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=2QFN
>
> DabsValue Edimax 4-port PS2 KVM Switch - about ?30
> http://www.dabs.com/redirect.aspx?ReferrerID=EF&RedirectUrl=/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=39JR
>
> I also checked ebuyer. They have a
> D-Link DKVM 4K - Monitor/keyboard/mouse switch - 4 ports - about ?30
> http://www.ebuyer.com/qf.html?id=60011&_LOC=UK
> which is 'compatible with all Windows Operating Systems'. So that's
> out then :-)
> (Are they covering their arses or does it really require some windoze
> prog to work it?)
>
> and a
> Dynamode 4 Port Automatic KVM Switch supplied with Cables - c. ?30
> http://www.ebuyer.com/qf.html?id=106204&_LOC=UK
> No description for it.
>

> So looks like the Edimax is the one to go for.
>
> Any heads-ups on quality or features to look for?
>
> Anybody got something similar gathering dust in the attic? ;-)

totally irrelevant to the question, but i've had recent experience of
the Dell 4161DS. to begin with i set up some ssh tunnels to the
remote location and did all the magic so that i could access it, but
underneath it's really quite a pain:

1) cannot connect to more than 4 remote boxes at once, despite it being
   labelled as suitable for 128 devices

2) the limit of 4 is total number of clients, so if bob is using the
   kvm at the same time, we can only use a total of 4 remote computers

3) the mouse pointer sucks, some alternative pointing device would be
   better, like a puck from the old days.

4) it is not always possible to use devices that are on the same 'pem'
   module. the KVM data is on UTP cable, and we know how much outside
   interference effects video... so the 'pem' devices are little
   repeaters for the signal. if bob is using a computer on the same
   pem, it's not always possible for someone else to work.

5) the price tag is $5,000; http://s5h.net/u?f25

there are some nice things, like the software is java based, so it can
be used on most terminals. but the above things are just so damn ugly
that it promises much more than it delivers.

it didn't come from my pocket, and for the location that i'm working in
right now, a kvm is necessary, but these little points are so painful.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.linuxwarez.co.uk
just another bash person