[sclug] kvm switch (> 2 port, electronic)

Simon Champion simon at spudley.com
Tue Jan 9 09:16:47 UTC 2007

Hia,

Following the KVM discussion with interest.

Just one other thought, on a slightly different tack; I don't know whether it'll be of use to you or not...

There's an open-source application called Synergy, which is designed to let you share keyboard and mouse between multiple machines running at the same time.

It isn't aimed at sharing monitors, though -- the idea is that you have a single keyboard and mouse controlling all the machines, and they act as if they were a single desktop; you move the mouse pointer between them just as if you had a regular multi-screen desktop. The interesting thing is that it supports multiple operating systems, so you can have a Linux box, a Mac and a Windows box next to each other, and move the pointer smoothly between the three. It even supports screensaver and clipboard sharing.

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

Anyway, as I say, it may or may not suit you, depending on what you're looking to do, but I thought I'd throw it into the ring.

All the best,

   Simon C.