[sclug] Beagle not indexing email - leading to desktop problem.

Neil Haughton haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 9 19:59:42 UTC 2007

Darren Davison wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 01:04:48PM +0000, Neil Haughton wrote:
>
>>    Beagle in the Ubuntu repositories is currently 0.2.6, so that may be the
>>    issue, but my earlier attempts to install beagle from elsewhere (to a
>>    non-Ubuntu distro) have failed.
>>

> Edgy has 0.2.9 (I use Xubuntu Edgy on this machine and my work laptop).  You
> could try just using the edgy repo's for beagle only, or alternatively try
> grabbing a .deb from somewhere and installing it with dpkg.
>
> Edgy seems pretty good if you're able to upgrade.
>
> D.

Following on from last night, the beagle 0.2.9 stuff from the Edgy
repositories installed ok and now works, but uninstalling the old
version beforehand using Synaptic seems to have whipped out some
references or links or something that have wiped out my desktop. I have
the same background now, but no icons. My /home/<name>/Desktop folder is
intact, but that is not what is displayed and I cannot drag files to the
currently visible 'desktop'. If I try to open Places/Desktop, for
example, I get an error message box saying

Could not open location 'file:///home/neil/Desktop'

Details: There is no default action associated with this location

Any idea how to fix this? I would guess that Ubuntu has lost the
reference to my desktop folder and I getting some default background,
but this is way out of my depth.

TIA

Neil.