[sclug] kvm switch (> 2 port, electronic)

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 10 00:06:14 UTC 2007

ed wrote:

> it might have been possible for the programmer to tell the kvm how to
> move the mouse over IP without having to use system specifics. drawing
> the image is just a matter of moving a bitmap to the form... AFAIK that
> is.

AFAIK this is wrong. Mouse pointers are handled deep in the bowels of X
for the sake of performance; I'm pretty sure it uses some kind of
hardware acceleration. The kind of "emulated" mouse pointer you describe
would, I suspect, be horrifically slow and ugly.

Java-only apps can't reach down into the platform like that, hence the
platform-specific DLL / .so. Whatever other transgressions the mfr may
have committed, they're innocent on this one. :-)

Will.