[sclug] Mod_proxy problems

Peter Brewer pwb48 at cornell.edu
Wed Jun 13 10:53:25 UTC 2007

I'm having problems with mod_proxy.

In some cases I just want to pass a particular subfolder for a domain to a
different host on my intranet - in which case the following syntax works
fine:

ProxyPass "/prettyfoldername/" "http://anotherhost.domain.uk/foldernameonserver/"
ProxyPassReverse "/prettyfoldername/" "http://anotherhost.domain.uk/foldernameonserver/"

The problems come when I want to pass ALL traffic for a particular domain to a
subfolder on a different host.  I had presumed that the following syntax
would work:

ProxyPass "/" "http://anotherhost.domain.uk/foldernameonserver/"
ProxyPassReverse "/" "http://anotherhost.domain.uk/foldernameonserver/"

This works to a point with files in the "/var/www/foldernameonserver" served
as http://prettydomain.co.uk/myfile.html.  The problem is when I try and
access a file in a subfolder /var/www/foldernameonserver/css/style.css.  If I
try and access the file in the following location:
http://prettydomain.co.uk/css/style.css

Apache errors saying in can't find the URL "/foldernameonserver/css/style.css

I hope I'm making some sense!!!  Any magic wand waving appreciated!

Regards

Peter