[sclug] [rug] RUG 6 Jun 2007 Linux on a laptop

Mike Mallett mike.mallett at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 14 19:59:13 UTC 2007

It's a brave man who'll do a live install on the night so thanks to Alan C
for all his work ! Thanks also to John and Mayuresh.

Graham lent an old laptop which was a Toshiba Tecra 8100 Pentium III/650
128mb RAM  hard drive

Due to the older spec Alan installed Xubuntu   (www.xubuntu.org) which took
somewhere over an hour to get up and running.

The laptop didn't have a built in network port and the install didn't
recognise the Xircom Portgear USB > Ethernet adapter - being able to access
a network is really part of the job ! Anyway I found a Dlink PCMCIA network
card with Linux mentioned on the box at the Bracknell Computer Fair. This
cost ?15 and worked as soon as it was plugged in !

I did find a USB Wifi adapter but Xubuntu only supports WEP out of the box
and so some work is needed to get WPA running.

I'll bring it along to future RUG meetings so you can have a play ..

Mike